Lowden Public Library

Personal tools

You are here: Home / Library Information / History / Library History

Library History

Read how this library was established and how it has evolved to become such an important part of our community.

Originally sponsored by the NGO Club in the 1950's, the Lowden Library has since 1977 been under the management of a seven member board who saw the need for expansion of facilities to meet the needs of the area.  An ordinance adopted by the Town Council gave the town responsibility for the library facilities and made local funding possible.  County funds also became available. 

The origianal library was housed in the former Council room, the addition of shelves, bulletin boards, drapes, carpeting and comfortable furniture made the library attractive.  Membership in the East Central Library Association also enables patrons to make special requests for books, films and records.  In 1991, Erwin and Faith Strackbein donated the building located at 605 Main St., after renovations the building now houses a collection of over 8,000 items. 

The library has been accredited by the State of Iowa since 2003.

BRIDGES

Bridges Logo

Iowa's eLibrary

LearningExpress

LearningExpress 3.0

EBSCOHOST

EBSCO